AHMC Seton Medical Center – First Floor
AHMC Seton Medical Center – Ground Floor
EXPERT HEART CARE AT AHMC SETON MEDICAL CENTER
At AHMC Seton Medical Center, we are proud to be cardiovascular pioneers. We are the birthplace of interventional cardiology, a minimally invasive approach to treating heart conditions. Our specialization is the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the heart and the vascular systems (arteries and veins).
We are a referral center in the Bay Area for our expertise in the treatment of STEMI (segment elevation myocardial infarction) heart attacks, which are one of the most serious types of heart attacks. This means doctors send their most critical heart patients to us.
We have a proud history of developing and incorporating groundbreaking heart technologies.
Here are just some of the ways Seton has led the way in cardiovascular care.
- We are the first center in the world to perform balloon angioplasty in multiple coronary arteries (to widen narrowed or blocked arteries).
- We are the first in the Bay Area to use the rotablator technology (high-speed device for crushing calcified plaque deposits in coronary arteries).
- We are the first heart center in the nation to use laser technology to treat disease in the peripheral and coronary arteries.
- We are the first in the Bay Area to use cardiopulmonary support during complex coronary angioplasty procedures (to treat left main coronary artery disease).
- We are the first hospital worldwide to use current laser technology to revive transmyocardial revascularization (for restoring blood circulation to parts of the heart that can’t be treated with conventional surgery).
- We are the first in the Bay Area to use radiation angioplasty, or brachytherapy (to slow cell growth in the artery).
We are one of the top facilities for cardiac care in the Bay Area. The strength of our reputation lies not only in the services we provide but also in the strength of our referral network.
Our heart care team at Seton consists of diverse medical professionals, including fellowship-trained interventional cardiologists, with decades of experience. Our highly experienced team of cardiac specialists keeps our services both extensive and competitive.
Our skilled care team also include includes:
- Interventional radiologists
- Nurses with specialty cardiovascular training
- Vascular assistants
- Emergency room doctors
In addition to our expertise in heart care, we are nationally recognized by the Joint Commission for excellence in stroke care.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Seton is a designated Primary Stroke Center by the Joint Commission, the leading accrediting body for hospitals in the U.S. Our stroke program has earned the 2020 Get With The Guidelines® – Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association and also recognition for Target: Stroke Elite Plus Honor Roll and Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll for excellence in stroke care. This award recognizes our commitment to patient care and to improving patient survival rates.
AHMC Seton Medical Center has earned the 2020 Mission: Lifeline STEMI Receiving Center Silver Plus Quality Achievement Award. This award signifies a commitment to adherence and quality improvement for the STEMI patient population. Achieving Mission: Lifeline Recognition denotes a commitment to high quality systems of care amongst STEMI Receiving Centers, STEMI Referring Hospitals, 911 EMS Agencies, Interfacility Transport Agencies and other supporting system participants through collaborative efforts including quality improvement priorities outside
HEART CONDITIONS WE TREAT
We’re a community hospital that specializes in treating heart disease and providing cardiovascular care for people with all kinds of heart conditions. Whether you have a common heart condition or a rare cardiac disease, our team of highly skilled specialists offers expert diagnosis and treatment.
Patients from throughout the Bay Area come to Seton for our excellent cardiovascular care:
- We specialize in the treatment of STEMI (Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction) heart attacks.
- Our expertise in the treatment of heart conditions makes us a referral center for cardiovascular emergency care.
- We’re known for our diagnostic expertise and treatment of both common and rare heart conditions.
- Our integrated team of heart physicians has specialized cardiovascular training and years of experience as a high-volume center that treats thousands of patients.
EXPERIENCED DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT FOR HEART CONDITIONS
At Seton, our highly skilled cardiovascular team treats all types of heart conditions, from the routine to the most serious cases. We are recognized as one of the top centers in the area for treating patients with STEMI heart attacks, one of the most serious types of heart attack.
Some of the cardiovascular conditions we treat include:
- STEMI heart attacks: Blockage of blood flow to the heart
- Atrial fibrillation: Irregular heartbeat or arrhythmia
- Heart failure: Reduced efficiency of the heart muscle
- Ventricular tachycardia: Fast, irregular heartbeat
- Aneurysm: Bulging or weakened blood vessels in the heart
- Atherosclerosis: Narrowed arteries from fatty deposits
- Wolff-Parkinson White syndrome: Extra electrical pathway to the heart
- Pericardial disease: An inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart
STEMI heart attacks
A STEMI heart attack is a medical emergency that requires immediate treatment. It occurs when the blood supply to the heart is cut off because of a blockage.
Our ability to quickly and efficiently treat STEMI heart attacks lies in the expertise of our care team. We diagnose STEMI heart attacks via EKG, which requires specialized training and experience.
Treatments for STEMI heart attacks can include surgical options, such as angioplasty and stenting, or nonsurgical options, including medication.
Atrial fibrillation (AFib) is a common condition that occurs when the upper chambers of the heart are out of sync with the lower chambers. AFib is a type of irregular heartbeat also known as an arrhythmia.
Some signs of atrial fibrillation include:
- Shortness of breath
- Heart palpitations
AFib can come and go, and is usually not a medical emergency. However, if left untreated, AFib can lead to more serious conditions, such as heart attack and stroke.
The most common way to diagnose atrial fibrillation is with an electrocardiogram (EKG).
Treatment options for AFib depend on the severity of the condition and can include:
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Electroshock therapy
Heart failure is a condition in which the heart is not able to effectively and efficiently pump blood.
Among the many different causes of heart failure, some of the most common include:
- Coronary artery disease
- High blood pressure
- A family history of heart disease
Treatment options for heart failure differ from patient to patient. Your doctor will first diagnose the cause of your heart failure and then recommend a treatment program tailored to your needs.
Some possible treatment options for heart failure include:
- Nonsurgical options such as rehab and diet modification
- Prescription medications such as channel blockers and enzyme inhibitors
- Surgical procedure such as angioplasty or coronary bypass